If not addressed promptly, general liability claims can quickly escalate and threaten your business. It is important to have a carrier who understands the seriousness of a general liability claim and who can handle it competently in order to mitigate the potential loss.
After a general liability claim, conditions can change quickly. It is important to report a loss to Acadia as soon as possible, so that our claim professionals can respond immediately to help protect your interests.
General Liability Loss Mitigation
What to do in the event of a loss:
- Report the claim to your agent or directly to Acadia Insurance as soon as possible.
- If there are security cameras on the premises, preserve any footage recorded at the time of the accident.
- When it is safe to do so, take detailed photos of the scene immediately, before conditions change. Remember that most cell phones have cameras, if a camera is not otherwise available.
- If the accident involved a piece of equipment (for example, a nail gun, a forklift, or scaffolding), take steps to ensure that the equipment is preserved in the exact condition it was in when the accident occurred. Do the same if the loss involves a construction defect (preserve items such as failed piping or samples of defective materials).
- Secure contact information for all parties and witnesses to the loss. Include any other contractors (general or sub, plowing & sanding contractors, etc) related to the loss.
- Gather any contracts which may impact the parties to the loss.